Tuesday, September 13, 2011

AS paint to the rescue on the fireplace.

This fireplace has been  a bit of a nightmare since it was at some time years ago painted in yellow gloss paint, underneath that is brown varnsh and who knows what else. I had started to use paintstripper but all that did was to make the paint soft and distribute the paint into all the stonemasons carving marks. We also tried sanding - no joy. I eventually just sat there for hours with a small pickaxe chipping away at the paint. However, over the centuries, apart from the gloss paint there was also some fire damage and long term soot and smoke exposure. So the stone which is Pierre de Bourgogne looked more black than stone coloured. Well, we thaught about having it sand blasted but were concerned with the damage already done and also the mess. Anyway having messed about with all my AS paints I eventually made a colour that I thaught would pass and here is a little preview as I have not finished it yet.


This is the transformation

from this.



More to come when finished.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    I was just thinking about you today and wondering when you would be doing another of you're interesting posts and voila, here you are. I can't believe the transformation from what was to what is becoming! It is amazing. You are doing an excellent job.

    I just received my Annie Sloan paint to paint my chairs and table base. I am excited about it and have written a post on it and will follow up with step-by-step instructions as to what I am going to do when I start.

    I hope if you haven't entered my Giveaway celebrating the opening of La petite boutique de perles, you will stop by. Fifi Flowers has also contributed to the Giveaway with a lovely book and hand painted bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking lovely! cannot wait to see it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat, I received your question re: the polycrylic (be sure to use waterbase not oil based as it will yellow with time) on top of the AS. I didn't have any problems with it. I would have sanded the top of the table and stained it (no AS paint), but my daughter wanted the top painted. I hope that answers your question.

    I'm a new follower. Wow! You are living a dream of mine...to live in rural France. Your home is amazing. When you are done it will look like something out of a movie (although it is already looking that way). Love what I could see of your kitchen and this fireplace is amazing. Great job.

    I guess I will just have to live vicariously through your blog =).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...