This is the shelf unit which was finished in a polyurethane varnish.
I then put on the first coat of paint in Old White straight from the tin. Amazing coverage, will water it down slightly next time as it left quite distinct brushmarks (although it could be that the brush was too thick).
I then gave it a coat of Chateau Grey which is more green than grey but I knew that anyway. I did add a little water to this which made the second coat very easy to apply, I will be a little more careful next time as I did get a few drips which sanded out very well once dry. I did the inside of the heart shape with Scandinavian Pink as well as the inside of the small drawers. I then clear waxed it and left it overnight.
Once buffed I distressed lightly some of the edges and where the drawers would scuff the bottom and a little bit here and there, I am not too keen on heavily distressed items so I think I may have been a little too careful. The white first coat showed through but I thaught it looked a little stark against the Grey so I used some of the dark wax, very sparingly, to mellow the tone. I have to say I was very nervous about this step but you can remove most of it with the clear wax if you get too carried away. Anyway I liked it so left it for a few hours and buffed it up. And here it is.
I am extremely happy with it and am tempted to keep it but the reason for painting it was to make some of our excess furniture saleable so we will see. My next project is an overmantel mirror.